Essential Resources for Raising Mission-Aligned and Non-Extractive Capital for a Business
If you’re starting or growing a business, you’ll need to think carefully about raising capital. We have helped countless mission-driven companies and non-profit organizations raise capital and comply with complex securities laws. We can help you raise capital on terms that work for your business. For us to know how to help you, we have the following questions for you.
Looking for additional support?
- How much money are you looking to raise, and by when?
- In what state is your business located?
- In which states are you looking to raise capital?
- Who do you want as investors?
- Do you intend to sell to non-accredited investors? Or sell to accredited investors only?
- Do you intend to sell to friends and family only? Or looking to offer via general advertisement?
- Are you comfortable with a large number of small-dollar investors?
- What is your entity type?
- What sort of investment security do you intend to sell? What are the terms?
- Do you have a written business plan?
- How have you raised capital so far, if at all?
- How much control do you want to keep over your business?
- What type of exit strategy (individual and/or company) are you targeting?
- How do you anticipate repaying the principal investment plus a return?
- Does your business serve a social or environmental purpose that philanthropic funds would support?
- Financing Guide to Social and Community Enterprise
- Venture Deals (3rd ed.), by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson.
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Law and Strategy (5th ed.) by Constance Bagley and Craig Dauchy. See especially its chapters on raising money and venture capital.
- The Next Step for Investors: Revenue Based Financing for Investors: Revenue-based Financing
- Raise Capital on Your Own Terms: How to Fund Your Business without Selling Your Soul.
- Growth Financing for Social Enterprises: 5 Options and How to Make Them Work for You
- A New Approach to Funding Social Enterprises
Most of our clients have similar questions. We’ve created these helpful guides for the top 5 most common topics.